Monday, August 1, 2011

Fun Pack Song

Alright, so recently (well, not so recently's recently), in a practise NDP (NDP= national day parade, which is an event we hold every year to celebrate Singapore's birthday), there was this "fun pack song" being sang.

The objective of the song was to introduce whatever in the fun pack (which is basically a goodie bag that contains lots of stuffs, they were given to the spectators).

The song was so bad that I can't even find a sample of it on youtube, and due to the very bad reception, it was taken out from the NDP list of songs.

So this incident actually got me thinking "why does the fun pack song suck?"

Basically, I found out two reasons.

The first is, rather straight forward, it seriously suck (I've heard that and it's really bad for the ears, so don't bother finding it), it makes me wonder why no one pointed that out before it's being published.

The second is simply, the people. Now when I'm saying "people" I'm not talking about "people" that make the song, but ordinary "people" like me and you that condemned the song.

Songs, stories, they are similar to art, in the sense that their value are determined by the audience, even if the song suck like hell, yet people like it, it will be deemed good (e.g. any justin bieber songs that you can find), so, in a way, I believe, the citizens make this song suck.

Now this actually bring up an interesting topic, what is wrong with Singaporeans?

One common trait I realized about Singaporeans is that (myself included), we are always complaining, be it on the train timing, the taxi fare, the chicken rice price, the GST, we are ALWAYS complaining.

We tend to look at the bad side of things than the good side of it.

And we have very low self esteem on our own production, it's like, we will always have this prejudice that "the other country is better".

All in all, it's this prejudice that's really damaging.

So why, why did this happen?

It has really got to do with our "foreign talent" policy, now I'm not pointing the finger at it and blame it totally, but our natural born negativity, coupled with the policy, really gives a bad chemical mix in my opinion.

The truth is, if we don't even feel that we are the superior group in our own homeland, then where would we be able to feel so?

I hope for the best.

No comments: